ASIFMA, which represents the interests of the region's leading financial institutions to regulators, policymakers, and other stakeholders in Asia, is seeking an Associate/Manager to provide coordination, research and analytical support to our fixed income team, reporting to its Managing Director. The successful candidate will join a growing team of 23 based in Hong Kong.
ASIFMA objectives include:
• Promote the views of Asia's financial market participants at a national, regional and global levels;
• Develop a constructive dialogue with policymakers, regulators and other relevant stakeholders on capital market and regulatory policies;
• Apply technical expertise to promote the growth and development of Asian financial markets; • Advocate for transparent regulations that are applied fairly and consistently;
• Promote the harmonisation of Asian financial market regulations with global standards and best practices; and
• Build relationships with and among members, regulators, policymakers and other stakeholders; and Identify new members and enhance services to existing members.
The Associate/Manager's primary responsibility will be to support the Managing Director - Head of Fixed Income. This involves a wide range of responsibilities, including managing the team's initiatives with regulators, committees and ASIFMA's global alliance partners (SIFMA, AFME and the GFMA). The scope of the Associate/Manager role would cover, but not be limited to, the following:
• Join ASIFMA senior staff in member meetings to discuss the concerns and priorities of markets practitioners;
• Stay abreast of market and regulatory developments, as it impacts ASIFMA members;
• Assist in the running of member committees, working groups, industry meetings and regulator meetings in Hong Kong and, when required, regionally;
• Provide updates to committees and working group members on regulatory/ASIFMA initiatives, take minutes and distribute action points to ASIFMA members;
• Manage communications between the team and members on regulatory/market developments and initiatives; • Generate and manage concurrent industry initiatives, including projects involving ASIFMA's professional firm members;
• Review and analyse consultation papers, regulatory speeches, research reports, and other documents to develop expertise and track regulatory developments affecting ASIFMA's members;
• Perform research and draft reports, briefings or presentation slides on regulatory developments and initiatives;
• Draft speaker notes and when appropriate, full speeches for events and media engagements;
• Assist with the coordination of events (conferences, seminars, webinars) and papers (white papers, publications, thought pieces) specific to the Division;
• Contribute updates to ASIFMA's regular communications with the Executive Board and Board of Directors;
• Develop strong relationships and liaise with alliance partners in London, Brussels, New York and Washington, DC, on issues that may have impact in Asia;
• Mentor and develop junior staff to enhance their knowledge, skills and abilities; • Coordinate with ASIFMA senior staff, associates and analysts as required.
• Educated to degree level (Bachelors or above), preferably in finance, economics, communications, journalism; law or a related field.
• Excellent organizational and project management skills, including the ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
• Knowledge of (and preferably 3 years' experience in) regulation, capital markets or relevant
• research, legal or public policy areas.
• Basic understanding of the banking, capital markets and finance is necessary, along with the ability and desire to build a strong substantive knowledge of the global financial markets.
• Analytic skills necessary to understand the legal and regulatory issues affecting the industry and the development of the capital markets.
• Comfortable working and interacting with high-level regulators, government officials, and senior (Csuite) ASIFMA members.
• Strong spread-sheet, database management and PowerPoint skills.
• Strong verbal and written communications skills suitable for business and advocacy purposes.
• Ability and willingness to travel for regulator meetings, conferences, sometimes on short notice
• Native English fluency, both verbal and written, is required; business proficiency in an Asian language, ideally Mandarin Chinese, is a plus.
Key Personal Attributes:
• Team player
• Inclusive, a good listener and persuasive
• Self-starter with strong organisational skills and work ethic
• Ability to prioritise, work independently, and exercise good judgment
• Proactive and solutions oriented, able to think outside the box and think laterally
• Willingness to participate in global conference calls outside normal business hours
This position is based in Hong Kong and a work permit would be required (for non-permanent residents). ASIFMA offers an attractive remuneration package commensurate with experience, including the possibility of an annual, discretionary bonus based on performance.
To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date for applications is Friday 18 October 2019.