Public Trust is New Zealand's largest and most experienced trustee services organisation. We provide specialist advice and care across a range of trust, estate management and investment services to New Zealanders.
As a Crown Entity, we have an important role to play in guiding and supporting Kiwis, which we're fulfilling by building a strong, sustainable and growing business.
About the role
We are currently recruiting for a Special Counsel to join our Legal and Governance team. This role will require you to partner with and provide high quality specialist legal advice to Public Trust's Corporate Trustee Services (CTS), Investments and Fee Protect businesses to enable them to manage legal risk, meet compliance obligations, ensure best-practice conduct and make good decisions for our customers.
If successful, you will be joining a team of skilled professionals dedicated to helping New Zealanders protect what is important to them.
Key responsibilities will include the following:
- Being a trusted business partner, creating and maintaining effective working relationships with the CTS, Investments and Fee Protect ('the Businesses') teams.
- Providing high quality legal advice to support the operations of the Businesses, including advice and support in respect to new business, transactions, compliance obligations, contracting and other general commercial activities.
- Managing regulatory reform for the Businesses, including monitoring changes to legislation and regulation, providing all required appropriate advice, comments or submissions; and assisting with educating the Businesses as required.
- Providing high level legal advice to the Executive and Board as and when required.
- Assisting with corporate governance, compliance obligations and Board secretarial functions in relation to the Businesses.
- Developing and maintaining modern legal precedents, materials and tools to assist the Businesses in delivering quality corporate trustee services and investment advice.
- Developing and maintaining relevant policies.
- Assisting with managing the Businesses' external legal providers.
- Contributing to the effective performance of the Legal & Governance team through sharing knowledge, training, mentoring and engendering a philosophy of continuous improvement in carrying out legal work.
- Ensuring the Businesses' legal risks are minimised by implementation and adherence to sound business practices.
Our ideal applicant
As our ideal applicant, you will have the following:
- 8 years+ experience as a senior legal professional either in-house or in a legal firm
- A proven record of providing advice in respect to banking, finance, investment services or corporate trustee services
- A good level of commercial and legal acumen with expertise in commercial law, company law and financial transactions
- Experience in corporate compliance and governance
- Strong relationship management skills and a reputation for results
- The ability to take direction, and implement strategy
- The ability to prioritise effectively under pressure, meet deadlines and to process work in a timely fashion
- The ability to provide constructive input to the management team at all levels
- The ability to develop processes to improve efficiency and effectiveness of legal services whilst maintaining high standards
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- The ability to influence and communicate complex matters in simple language
If the above role sounds like the next challenge you are looking for but you don't necessarily have all of the above skills, we'd still love to hear from you!
In return, we'll provide you with plenty of flexibility, development opportunities and access to a range of wellbeing initiatives and resources to help you bring your best self to work, always.
If you want to be part of an organisation that cares for New Zealanders, in a role that will add value, apply now!